Join Black Cat
Black Cat is a worker collective, members can be full-time, part-time, casual workers, or volunteers, and must deliver a minimum of 40 hours labour each year. Members are co-owners of the business, and also serve as the board of directors. This necessitates a rigorous recruitment, training, and assimilation process.
Experience Equality of Power
Members have an equal say over the running of Krakatoa, including:
- Complete autonomy in their own work.
- Unilaterally authority over all aspects and responsibilities zoned to them.
- Input into any financial decisions that affect the business.
- A vote in membership ballots.
- Participation in any decisions that may impact upon them including.
- designated duties;
- division of responsibility;
- working hours;
- terms & conditions.
More detailed information on worker self management can be found here.
Existing members are entitled to uptake any vacancies, which they possess the necessary skills for, and most regular shifts are filled by this mechanism. We also maintain a pool of casual/relief workers that we can offer relief bar shifts to, and this is where most recruitment occurs.
In order to qualify for membership candidates must:
- Pass a detailed interview.
- Receive instruction on collective working practices.
- Serve as a probationary member.
- Be voted in by a consensus of existing members.
- Join IWW.
The entire process takes 1-2 years to conclude. Click here to apply, explaining what you could bring to the party. The more engaging your pitch, the better your chances of securing an interview.